Hay Banks have been set up across the nation. A Hay Bank is a temporary source of hay (and sometimes feed) for the individual who has temporarily fallen on hard times. The Hay Bank prevents horses from starving or owners feeling forced to take the horse to auction.
Each is independently operated, so the horse owner should check to see what regions the bank serves, eligibility, and rules.
Our organization is also exploring the possibility of starting a hay bank for MARYLAND. However, donations and/or a source for grants is needed first. If you wish to donate or volunteer towards a hay bank fund, please contact us today.
- S.A.F.E.R. Hay Assistance Program: www.saferhorse.com
- The Hay Bank of Colorado: http://thehaybank.com/letter.html
- Kentucky Horse Council http://www.kentuckyhorse.org/safety-net/
- Mountain View Rescue http://www.mountainviewrescue.com/mvr_hay_bank_project.htm
- H.O.R.S.E. http://www.horseincorp.org/index.html
- The Maryland Hay Bank http://www.marylandhaybank.org/
- The Equihab Foundation: this organization. (*We are seeking financial support to initiate program)
- Michigan Horse Welfare Coalition Hay Bank : www.michiganhorsewelfarecoalition.org
- Equine Protection Fund www.equineprotectionfund.org/programs.php
- A list of grants & other assistance, courtesy of the NTRA http://www.ntraaftercare.com/node/21
* If you know of additions or changes to be made to this list, please email May so that the information may be kept up-to-date.